07 October, 2006

Kids Say the Darnedest Things

The other day I was in Wal-Mart buying Thank You For Smoking on DVD as well as a couple of other movies when this family walked past me. After they were past me this little girl, probably about 4 years old, stops, points at me and says extremely loudly "Look Mommy! He's still in his pajamas!" We all had a good laugh at that one - I've never heard that one before. I walked over to her as her mom was apologizing to me, crouched down and said "These aren't my pajamas! This is my uniform. It's the uniform of an American Soldier." and her mom responded "He and many other men work hard every day to keep you, and your brothers and sisters safe from really bad people". Suddenly the little girl's face went to a deeply concerned look - then very quickly turned to a very happy face. I was still crouching when she lunged forward at me and gave me a great big hug and said "Thank you very much mister!" I hugged her back and said your welcome and stood up stunned. Her mom politely said "I'm sorry about that." The only thing I could reply with was, "No, no need to apologize. Your daughter just made my day - probably my whole week too. Thank YOU!"

-Guardsman

2 comments:

10FOLD said...

Can I post this in my page on myspace.com? That made me smile too.

SSG Guardsman said...

SPC,
Feel free to link any time.