01 June, 2007

Just Chillin'

For those of you who don't know, while I'm done with recruiting I'm not done with the Army. I am going back to be a 1 weekend a month soldier and going back to college to be a teacher (any "You're going to brainwash them with your right-wing ideology" comments are welcome). Before I do that, however, I have to use up all my leave - 78 days of it. Basically, I'm on leave until school starts!!!!

So what have I been doing with my time? Not much really. I've spent some quality time with my family. I've spent some fun times with my friends. I've relaxed.... a lot! I know I really needed these last 2 weeks to unwind. I have no plans for the summer really, except to enjoy the sun while listening to the waves lap against the shore a the cabin I'm living in for the summer. I honestly can't complain about much.... and that's the problem.

Right now my brother, many friends, and my brothers and sisters in arms are in Iraq, Afghanistan, and other places fighting for our country. They're doing a tough job and doing it well. They're over there shedding blood, sweat, and tears for our country while I'm doing nothing. When they wake up they think about the most stressful part of their day - that moment when they leave the gates of their FOB and wonder "Is today going to be the day?". The most stressful part of my day is when I wake up and figure out what I'm going to wear (Do you have any idea how long it has been since I've worn civilian clothes every day?). Hell, the most stressful part of my week is mowing the lawn every Friday!

It all just seems...... unfair. Doesn't it?

The thing I love most about soldiers is their ability to make light of almost any situation. It seems as though no matter what is going on there is always a soldier who will make you smile or even laugh a little bit. Our brave men and women of the military are over there doing their duty - you and I both know they'd probably rather be somewhere else but they do their duty anyway. All of them deal with it differently, but some of them deal with it through humor... they make light of the situation. My brother sent this video to me and it is a prime example of that.




Not too much else going on... I'm just chillin'. The only problem is that the boredom is starting to kick in already..... what the hell am I going to do with my time?

On a side note - I realized the other day that all the songs on my MP3 player are NOT suited for working out. I really want a new play list for working out but I'm horrible at picking that kind of music since I listen to mostly country and jazz. Anybody have any ideas for songs? If so, leave any suggestions in the comments. In my next post, I'll put up which songs I picked for "SGT Guardsman's Ultimate Workout Play list".

-SGT Guardsman

0 comments: