23 August, 2007

I'm Alive!!!

It's been over a month since my last post. I bet nobody even reads this anymore but I'm going ot continue blogging anyway.

In my last post I talked about all the changes I'm going through in my life right now. Well, there have been even more changes since that last post.

I was on vacation the entire summer and greatly enjoyed my time off. Seriously, I REALLY enjoyed it! In the last 2 weeks of my vacation I decided to make another huge chance in course of my life. Instead of going back to being a 1-weekend-a-month soldier and going to school full time, I decided to take another AGR position. I am now an Automation NCO for the Recruiting & Retention Command here in Minnesota. I've now moved across the state to the Twin Cities to start my new job and this new chapter of my life. The nice thing is that my command is encouraging me to attend college in addition to my daily duties.

Moving to the Twin Cities has been an adventure so far. I obviously drove down here all the time to go to MEPS, but I have learned a lot more about the cities during the 3 weeks I've actually lived down here.

One thing I've been wondering is how do people make it to places on time every day? My first day of my new job I left my sister's house (my tempory residence) an hour before I needed to be at work and arrived 25 minutes early. The next day I left only 40 minutes before I needed to be at work and arrived 5 minutes late. The next day I left 50 minutes before and arrived 5 minutes late. The next day I left an hour before and arrived 10 minutes early. The NEXT day I left an hour before and arrived right on time! I DON'T UNDERSTAND!

How do you factor in the traffic?

Does everybody just arrive early to everything?

Doesn't anybody want that extra 10 or 15 minutes of sleep?

Well, it's late and I have to work tomorrow (and have to leave the house an hour before I have to be there!) so I'm going to go to bed. This new job has opened up a whole new part of the Army that I never knew existed so these next few months should be interesting while I learn the ropes.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

still with you, man

keep on blogging!

good luck with your new job

Anonymous said...

Great to see ya again! Sounds like good changes! Good luck with it all.
Having lived in Silicon Valley, CA for 15 years, I know about the 5 minute late thing. You have a window and if you miss that window by just 5 minutes you can end up being half an hour late. Welcome to commuting. You'll find your window and also learn the flow of traffic - each freeway is different tho. Keeps it interesting - heh! Watch for the guy shaving while driving and the lady reading the trashy romance novel while doing same. Then there are the cereal eaters and the tooth brushers. Let's not forget to mention the cellphone talkers and scribblers.
So much fun!

SFC B said...

When I commuted to Boston every day I knew the pain of missing my "window". Sometimes there is no logic or reason to it. Sometimes you're just an unlucky SOB.

Politics of a Patriot said...

Good to see you back!

Hehe... traffic... we don't know what that is here.

Flag Gazer said...

I remember the commuting thing!

I had a friend who used to graph everything out - by day of the week, week of the month, etc. He swore his system was fail-safe, but the guy was NEVER on time for anything!!!

I used the go extra early with the newspaper or book approach!

Congratulations on the new job!!!