26 August, 2006

MSM Spin

Sorry I haven't posted in a while, I have been busy with work (no enlistments for the last month! I'm such a winner) and I have been busy working on a little something for every one's enjoyment. It's not nearly done yet, but hopefully you will all like it. In the mean time I'd like to comment on some news.

I happened upon this story today and was absolutely amazed at how the main stream media can spin things. From Yahoo News:

BRATTLEBORO, Vermont (Reuters) - Some have appeared naked in a downtown parking lot. Others rode their bicycles or simply strolled the streets in the nude.


Teenagers in the quaint Vermont town of Brattleboro are raising eyebrows this summer with brazen displays of nudity. So far they haven't been arrested or ticketed: public nudity isn't illegal in the town of 13,000 people, unless it's done to arouse sexual gratification. Vermont has a live-and-let-live tradition, allowing skinny-dipping and nude sunbathing....

More....


..."We have a nuclear power plant a few miles away and a ridiculous war in the Middle East, countries getting bombed," said Ian Bigelow, a 23-year-old who had gathered with some of his friends outside a bookstore. "So why's it such a big problem if we chose to get nude?"


This article had seemingly nothing to do with Operation Iraqi Freedom, but SOMEHOW they managed to sneak it in there! How do they think of this stuff? Is some newspaper editor looking at the story going, "Hmm..... nude teenagers in Vermont, huh? Any way to connect this with the war?" So the reporter goes out and pays some kid to say it on the record?


That's got to be what happened in my opinion. I refuse to believe that a bunch of teenagers were sitting around one day and suddenly one of them says, "I don't like the war in Iraq - I'm going to go around nude for a while all because of the war.... and nuclear power.... and Israel bombing Lebanon. Yeah! That's why I'm going nude! It's lawful anyway, anyone want to join me?"

Anyway, I don't think that Ian Bigelow practices the "live-and-let-live" attitude that allows his nudity law. If he did, he wouldn't really care about a nuclear power plant or any wars would he?

-Guardsman

1 comments:

Alucard said...

EVERYTHING eventually trickles back to the Iraq War- Katrina, Israel/Lebanon, Public nudity, Tom Cruise, The Phillies' inability to win a pennant :D

But don't believe for a second that the media is biased in any way.