17 March, 2007

JACK ARMY’s "A Day in the Life” of My FOB

A chaptered story told on many blogs starts here and continues here:

Chapter Nine: The Gym

Our gym used to be a chapel. There was a sign on the door that said, “Welcome to the Church of Pain!” Funny.

Recently, we upgraded the gym by purchasing new equipment and replacing the wornout and torn floor mats with new ones. There are a few machines to get a workout on, several benches and lots of freeweights. It’s a good place to really break a sweat and it get used at all hours of the day. In fact, not that I do this often, I recall going in there at 2 am one morning when I couldn’t sleep and there were two guys in there working out with the music blaring.

I typically use the gym in the mornings. I like to go run out to the airfield, do a lap or two (it’s not a big airfield) and then grab a bottle of water and head to the gym. Some days I’ll do my push-up and sit-up improvement routine. There’s the strength-training workouts and there’s the endurance workouts, too.

And some days there’s the “I know I should work out but I feel like crap” workout that is more of a wander around the gym in a daze and wonder why I feel so bad. More of those days than I’d like.

And when I’m feeling really froggy, there’s the double-the-workout workout followed by a few sprints up the side of a bunker or something crazy like that.

As you can guess, I don’t feel froggy all that often.

0 comments: